Book Talk Tuesday -The Power of Myth – Joseph Campbell
Quick Breakdown of Notes and Quotes – Audio book recording from 1984 documentary Interview with Bill Moyers
Joseph Campbell dedicated his entire life to the study of different myths throughout many cultures, as well as all of the great religions of the World. He was an author, lecturer, professor, traveler, and lifelong learner of human experience.
One of his favorite sayings is “follow your bliss.”
His message is inspiring. Mythologic and religious hero stories of “saving the world,” can be applied in our own lives. This is the point of myths, heroic stories, and the messages and metaphors of religions: To be realized within ourselves and evoked in our own lives.
Joseph discusses how many myths and religions share the same messages, some haved ifferent ways of explaining them, with different characters, and different forms.
Within these messages are lessons of love, courage, forgivesness, redemption, awakening, enlightenment, and inner peace.
All of these myth characteristics can be found through the human experience.
Some cool quotes from Joseph Campbell:
1. “The wheel of fortune has 2 spots you can be on: 1 is the rim. It’s either going up or down all the time. 2 is the hub. It remains in the center at all times. Find your center.”
2. “When you go on a journey to save yourself, you become a hero, and save the world. Not in the classical hero sense, but in doing that you save the world. You really do. The influence of a vital person, vitalizes.”
3. “A hero is someone has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.”
4. “Follow your bliss and the Universe will open doors where there were only walls.”
5. “We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one we have waiting for us.”